2010. október 8., péntek

Run the Frog and Toad - WARR London 25 SEPT 2010

What a disaster! Even after three weeks my heartrate shoots up if i think about it. But i guess
i only have myself to blame.
Domi and i arrived to LHR on the 24th early afternoon, fastly checked into the Ibis Heathrow and then off we went to pick up my starter package near Canary Wharf. Now i always thought i was a big city kid what with having grown up downtown Budapest but apparently i dont know **** about REAL bigcity commuting. If i had i would have considered a more expensive hotel somewhat closer to the Royal Docks. The way from LHR to the ExCel was so excrutiatingly slow that by the time we got out of the Team meeting it was dark. We did a little sightseeing but ultimately were even too exhausted to have dinner and just fell to bed and slept like logs.


It only figures that I of all the clumsy people of this world would then leave late the next morning, leaving only 2:15 for commuting AND warmup, and that my metro coach would stand 20 min in some station due to reconstruction works. It only is predictable that i would miss my startshot on the very event i have been preparing for for like... a year?!
Alright then, i might be a cronic latecomer (needless to say that Domi the everGerman was in fury just by the very thought of what id done) but if there is one thing i despise more than being late is pussing out, taking the easy way out. Which is why, as the doors of the metro opened at 11:03, Prince regent station witnessed a rather upset Lufthansa runner shoot out of the car to disappear towards ExCel in a whirl (that i had to change my jeans to running shorts in the metro was only the smaller embarrassment, lol). I passed the startline at 11:04:35 and set about catching up with the others. I pushed the pace and passed the last few people in a few minutes, kept passing first the slow then the comfortable hobbyrunners, then those who were not well prepared and then finally a few of the better runners too. One setback i had to deal with was that while i hydrated vigorously before the race i had no time for a bathroom-break but as the kilometres and minutes passed by and the urgency of the matter climbed up the charts, it transformed into the most powerful of motivations there is :)
Reached the finishline at 52:17 (which translates to 47:40 netto time logged on my watch, a personal best) and took over a load of people on my final sprint. Once done tho, i felt all drained of willpower or integrity even, i just got changed, watched the start of the 5k and then walked away. Didnt quite know how to deal with the shame and disappointment.
In any case as it turns out, i made 3rd place on my age category even so. Whats more important, my team was anything but ashamed of me! Germans AND Luftverkehr mitarbeiter, and still such tolerance for delays... i dont know how i could have expected less of them tho, they are just really really nice people. Like REALLY.

So once again a heartfelt Thank you and Sorry goes out to Sandra, Paul, Ralf and everyone who was damn kind to me and whom i in return kind of let down. I look forward to hanging with you in DUB and making up for my rude behaviour!

WARR London

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése